Header Ads

N.E.R.D & Rihanna - Lemon




A real star of N.E.R.D.'s amazing collaboration "Lemon". And Rihanna is a dancer's Meteor Tory, he exercises power through song videos with the power of a madman. In the first scene of the clip, she shaves his head by Rih and then proceeds to split all of the abandoned swap meetings with an accurate choreography by JaQuel Knight.


As a dancer of Pharrell, Towley was working as one of his "bays" who played with him after the release of the 2013 Girl. In an interview with FADER this week, Towley explained why he was working for N.E.R.D. Why did you shave her head at a perfect time, and a special take-away she got from her performance.



I know you've worked with Pharrell for a bit, how was this experience different than what had gone on before?

I have worked with him for nearly four years. One thing I admire about Farrel and his team is that the artist actually holds a safe place for them. Especially as a dancer who plays this role, I am myself and I have the freedom to express the person in my body. It's just a dream for a dancer. Especially N.E.R.D., a group transcending a single genre, I was pressed to do the same as a dancer. This work of choreography, which JaQuel Knight came up with, is in a sense like ballet and dance is a storytelling agent for the whole video. It is truly special for Pharrell and N.E.R.D. Take it and use dance in a new way.



What was that first scene like to shoot? To have your head shaved by RIhanna?

As a performer I was truly incredible. When we came to the scene, I was ready to shave my head. I was rehearsing by pulling back my hair, but I knew it was coming. For me, the two scenes - the meeting of the room and the swap - I wanted to play it dynamically. I was sitting on the floor and she was shaving my head - I feel a little bit tired. I think that it came from a real place, I am ready to change through this performance. After I saw the mirror, I was, Wow, this is like the body in my body, emotions are reflected in my body. By that time I was pulling my hair for a rehearsal, because I sweat, it comes out of my ponytail, so I flickered back it. I was ready. Obviously, having a prolific artist to shave my head was incredible. I truly honor her.



Was there any hesitation from her end on doing it?

I really can not talk about it. I know that it was an honor to work with her.



How long did it take to film? The dance looks so seamless, like it was a one and done, but obviously that means there was so much work put into it.

JaQuel is really strict in pursuit of artistic excellence. I do not know how many times I shot. I was in this performance space, but I wanted to go back and forth again and again. It takes time to reset when you are shooting something. Malik Sayeed, who was the DP of this project, said he learned most of the choreography. He takes pictures over and over again so that I can adapt to the place where my body rests. I am very happy, as I always meant to move smoothly.



Is there any moment that really stands out from shooting that really speaks to the overall experience?

It is Malik Sayeed, an artist I admire. His work ethic, Todd Tourso, Scott Cudmore, The Good Company, everyone was synchronized. We were very coordinated with the possibilities this video could make something like a dream. As long as I work with Farrell, I am currently dancing for 4 years at LA. The synergy between us was incredible. That is how the project lives. It is wonderful. I saw it, I do not recognize myself.



How do you mean?

It is not hair. That is my physical entity and it is about how I was able to commit for this wonderful team and what we did together. That was a change for me. I remember it at the university of the University of Minnesota. My professor is "a person who knows what you have transformed by dance and performance, and who you are yourself is big." This is a project for me. I finally turned off that light where I was able to stand strong, but please be in a way I never imagined. Just be afraid. I am looking at that character. That model is modeled after me. I am embodying it. I want a woman all over the world to get it and feel it. I would like people to thank the dance. Dance is transformational.







No comments